Thursday, April 3, 2014

Clean Smoothie Recipe - Maca Cacao

If you have yet to hear about Maca, now it the time to start getting familiar with it!! Maca, a plant grown in Peru for over 3000 years and used in medicine, is becoming a very popular superfood in american culture. My first experience with Maca was about 4 years ago when I went back to work after my son was born. During my afternoon break I, in my new Mama night after sleepless night fog would get a blended coffee from the health bar next store that featured Maca as one of its most beneficial ingredients. I have always been highly interested in nutrition and health though at that point in time I was so focused on making it through each work each day and running home to take care of my 16 month old and my 3 month old, I never really took the time to research what the health benefits of Maca were. 
Fast forward 4 years and I feel almost every health and nutrition information I encounter raves about the health benefits of Maca. Maca which is considered a superfood is beneficial for enhancing energy, stamina, memory and fertility. It helps woman with balancing hormones, menstrual problems, and menopause symptoms. It can also aid in lessing the effects of depression, osteoporosis, anemia,  and helps boost the immune system.** After learning this I decided to make it a mission to find ways to incorporate Maca into my families diet. It has a slight butterscotch smell to it and for me tastes a bit nutty. I tend to use it as an addition to sweet recipes. It blends well into smoothies and as an addition to doughs when baking.  Here is my recipe for a Maca-Cocoa Ice Cream. A low calorie nutrient and antioxidant dense sweet treat that is great as a desert, after school snack or mid-afternoon pick me up. 
Enjoy!


Maca Recipe
3 Frozen Bananas
1 Cup Frozen Pineapple
1 Cup Vanilla Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1 1/2 Tbsp Maca Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp PB2 Chocolate
1 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Flakes (unsweetened)
1 1/2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
Handful of Ice
*optional soak 1 tsp of chia seeds in the almond milk for about 15 min. then add all to mix

Blend until creamy and serve immediately or store in freezer.
Yields 4 servings at around 150 calories each

**these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA



No comments:

Post a Comment