Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Clean Eating Recipe - Roasted Nuts Cinnamon Sugar Flavor

Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Nuts
I always see the pre-packed flavored nuts in the grocery store and think yum, what a great idea. This is when I turn the package over, read the ingredients and then return them to the shelf disappointed. I am a sweets person, I swear I was born with a mouth full of sweet teeth! So naturally I wanted to experiment with infusing my nuts with some sweetness.  I mean who can really resist the nuts they sell on the corners in NY. The heavenly scent of caramelized sugar and roasted nuts wafting through the air piercing your nostrils with a much welcome and captivating scent, a far cry from the smoggy city air.  So you stop, you pull out a few dollars and purchase a warm bag. You can't get your wallet tucked away quick enough because you are so anxious to pop a few into your mouth. The second they touch your tongue you know your senses led you right, they are delectable so you grab another handful as you disappear back into the hustle! Ok, ok, Ill stop teasing your taste buds now.  What I am trying to say is not that these nuts compare to NY nuts, I don't think there is any comparison, but they were inspiration for my sweet nut experiment. And, I must say for a clean eating guilt free snack these are pretty darn good. They are also a great addition atop salads and chopped up in baking recipes.
Enjoy!!!

Recipe
1 Cup nuts of your choice
1 Tbsp coconut oil (you may have to melt it first)
1 tsp each of cinnamon and coconut sugar **

Heat oven to 425 degrees
Place nuts in a medium bowl. Pour the coconut oil over them and add the cinnamon and sugar. Toss together until nuts are well coated.
Spread evenly on a baking sheet and place on middle rack in oven.
Bake for 5-10 minutes, once you start smelling the nuts roasting they will be ready!

**you can add more cinnamon and sugar according to personal taste but be aware if you are taste testing when raw, they will taste sweeter after they are roasted)

No comments:

Post a Comment